sábado, junio 23, 2007

50 cups of coffee and you know it's on

A friend of mine used to say that line (sing-song it, really) all the time, and I always assumed it was a song lyric. Seeing it written out, it's just dumb.

But I'm still in Starbucks, and I'm trying to think of something appropriate to write about life or work or something. Like yesterday, I went to the toma to visit the jardin (daycare) and play with the kids. You aren't supposed to pick them up or make them fly or anything fun, because if you do it to one, they all want a piece. "Ahora mi, tia" was the mantra for about a half an hour. I didn't mind, except that my arms hurt a bit today. I got a little bitter at the tia for stopping the kids from asking me to pick them up so that they can touch the ceiling, because if I don't dote on them, what am I even there for? Is it so bad for the presence of a visitor to mean that there are going to be a few hours that are more fun and special than normal, especially on a Friday? I have no idea, and as I do so often do, I manage to convince myself that so much of our work is doing more harm than good. But those kids are so cute.

This has nothing to do with coffee, or with the Starbucks in which I am now sitting, which is being patrolled by a security guard wearing a suit and tie. In Starbucks. I have no idea what is worth stealing here, but I am going to use this opportunity to present to you a deep dark secret of mine: I attended a coffee tasting in Starbucks last week.

Who knew such a thing existed, let alone in a mall in Santiago, Chile. It turns out that every Starbucks barista has to be trained in the ways of coffee. To demonstrate their knowledge, they must conduct a tasting with their patrons, under the watchful gaze of all of the other staff members. Two types of coffee are presented (only from the FRENCH PRESS!), for wafting, sipping and enjoying. They are accompanied by expertly chosen baked goods. They both taste wretched, and I wonder why I still some to Starbucks at all.

It's the free wi-fi.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

That's a Beastie Boys line! Are you sure you're from the East Coast?