miércoles, marzo 26, 2008

Quitters sometimes win

I've had another one of those "finding yourself" weeks, and it led me to quit my job. After a little over two months. Maybe it has to do with feeling like my choices were making me (leaving Chile as I did, living in New York, etc.), or being in an industry where your politics and your job are intertwined. I can't say that there is ever a time when you feel more completely and utterly in control of your life and destiny than the moment you give notice. It isn't easy, or pretty, but there is something slightly empowering about the whole thing. 

That's not why I did it. I did it because some people are dumb and don't deserve the jobs they have, while others toil away over qualified and under appreciated.*** I did it because sometimes you have to speak up, or else nothing will change, whether it's speaking out about an insane law, or demanding that junior staff members are treated with respect.

Because I want to tell everyone: If you are young, or in some to other way inexperienced, and you do your job as best you can, and say please and thank you, YOU DESERVE TO BE RESPECTED. Seniority and favoritism and idiocy can anda la chucha for all I care. Don't ever let anyone blame you for something you didn't do just because you're new, or make you feel worthless because you don't know where the paper towels are kept. Insecure people do that. And you are better. 

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me. And I'm feeling good.****

***I am aware that this happens everywhere, and that my next place of business may employ some idiot who can't do her job either. I could literally write for hours about my (now) former co-worker who was so grossly unqualified for her director-level job that I had to sit at my tiny desk and laugh/weep daily. But I'm sure we all have those stories. However, when my fiscal director doesn't understand the concept of a fiscal year, it gives me pause. Am I wrong? Can you do me one better? I double dare you. 

****I'd feel better if my new job was, say, the New York Giants official pep-talker or funny tshirt maker. A girl can dream. Or John Mayer's joke writer. Or Jeff Tweedy's...drinking buddy? That's pretty wrong. I take it back.

No hay comentarios.: