martes, marzo 04, 2008

"Sick"

The truth is, I'm sick as a dog. I don't get sick like most people do. I have an above average immune system, so I don't necessarily have the dripping nose or constant coughing. But on the inside, I feel it. But no one ever believes me.

I went to work today, because I had been in bed for two days, and watched an episode of One Tree Hill, signaling to me a real and intense need to do something productive. I kept opening up my laptop to work on something, when I would get distracted by Best Week Ever. I figured, even in my pathetic state, up and out of bed was the way to go.

People have a lot of opinions about non-profits, ranging from the whole "you guys are saints" attitude to a more cynical "why don't you have a real job" (thanks dad!). I'm on the fence about the whole thing myself. There is something about this new job, which I should absolutely not be talking about online, and one a blog that isn't all that hard to find, and which has my gd photo on it. But let me break something down:

I was the only administrative person in my office today. I'm a mid-level development person, but pretty close to the bottom of my particular orgs totem pole. The "administrative team" is fairly tight knit; we share very close quarters, overhear lots of each others' conversations, and generally tolerate each other. And yet, I was ridiculous annoyed that I was the only one in the office today. not because I think people shouldn't get sick, but because there wasn't any sort of email or pow wow or something about it. I mean, for frick's sake. For a bunch of people who truly believe that the world begins and ends with them (i am SO going to get it for that comment), how could you not give anyone a heads up that you aren't coming in? Am I crazy?

I take a step back and realize that I left New York initially because of this nonsense, because the pettiness of office politics was overshadowing the work. When I left my first non profit job, it was because I was really annoyed at my co-workers, and it clouded my judgment about everything. I like to pretend that I'm not that young and naive anymore. But that was only three years ago, so who am I kidding.

So I've come to terms with the fact that I will never like everyone I work with, nor will I like every aspect of my job. And that there are some really bad days. Or weeks. Unfortunately, when I'm unhappy, I always think of Chile. I didn't even like it all that much, yet I can't go back whenever I want, and that really makes me sad. So for a while, I've been trying to think of all of my favorite places in Chile, or I guess Santiago itself. Since I get a lot of ex-pats asking me questions about Chile.

That's coming up. And less complaining about work. Of course, feel free to leave your work idiocy in the comments.

No hay comentarios.: