viernes, junio 16, 2006

A Breakthrough?

I'm just coming off of an interview with the director of the program, and my theme for the day is that everything here is surprising.

Por ejemplo: I was starting to get really scared about work. Like, really really scared. Mostly because I don't speak the language. I used to say that I spoke a little Spanish, and honestly thought that I did. Nope. I just don't speak Spanish, and everyday is a struggle.

My interview made me realize this, but more importantly made me realize that I am harping on it. The director asks me "what are you most apprehensive about?" My answer "spanish". Then he asks "What has been the hardest part?" My answer "The spanish." After more of this he finally says "Lauren, it's only been a week."

Has it really? It feels like months. It feels like I've been struggling, and laughing and walking around for so long and yet haven't really gotten the hang of it. I haven't even started working yet. The biggest shock was that no one here expects me to really know what I am doing. Surprise! Lauren doesn't know everything! And for once, I'm completely ok with it.

So I'm standing at the collectivo (like a bus/taxi hybrid) stand, waiting. I'm with a bunch of voluntarios, and we are speaking in english and broken spanish. This normally causes people to avoid us, but there was confusion about which line was which so a woman asks me (in spanish) "Which line is this?" And I answer (in spanish) "I think its for the 3019." No trepidation, no stuttering, no looking around for someone to translate. The beauty of it was, I actually helped her.

So apparently, I'm going to be ok.

Second surprise of the day: I love babies. We visited the Casa de Guaguas (Baby House) today. I'm not a baby person. I think I'm going to drop them or something and it makes me nervous. However, the scene when we entered the hogar was this: A room full of toys, with 10 babies teeter-tottering around like little chubby bouncing balls. They're crawling, they're walking, they're talking. The voluntarios and I immediately hit the floor and start playing with them, as they crawl and grab and laugh. Me! Babies!

There are siblings, even twins, in the group. Most of them will stay at the Casa until they are old enoughed to be permanently placed in another hogar. Sadly, few will actually find adoptive parents.

But between the volunteers and the tias, however, the Casa de Guaguas is brimming with love...and Barney.

Besos.

No hay comentarios.: