lunes, junio 12, 2006

Smog Dog Grog

Hola from Chile!

Finally here after the debacle that was American Airlines flight 957. I wrote a whole snarky post about it, but it was exhausting to write and mostly likely not very interesting to read. To keep things to the point, and to entertain you (the masses) until I can post some photos, here are my first impressions of Chile:

1) Smog: Smog has a smell. As another voluntario so eloquently stated, its like someone (everyone!) is perpetually barbequeing. Its strange, since I don't have any experience with smog. But here it permeates everything. Especially if you spend your entire first day hiking around el centro on a Scavenger Hunt (we won!). They have our whole first week planned out like this - hora a hora, minute to minute. For me, esta bien, because I'm so lost and appreciate being forced to become comfortable in a new city. I had my first conversation (en espanol) with an ACTUAL Chilean. A guard at the...ok, can't remember the name of the place, but I did take a funny photo with him. I got my point across, which was my first small language victory, but that wasn't without him telling me (in english) to slow down and relax...twice. I'm sure most of you can imagine the bright red face accompanying that exchange.

2) Dog: They are everywhere. They follow you in the hopes that you will feed them or play "throw the rock". They sleep in piles to combat the cold. Some of them are mean, while some of them are our pretend "bodyguards" as we walk to the UniMarc. They are the city, with so many fat and happy and so many more skin and bones.

3) Grog: My state, after all of the flying and walking and eating. We ask each other the same questions over and over, attempting to get to know everyone well in a short time. We try to speak spanish, try to keep up with the volunteers who have been here and have already found their way. It makes my head spin, and at the end of the day I feel groggy, look at my watch and realize that it is only 8:30pm, and wonder if it will be weird to just go to bed.

But its wonderful. It is wonderful to see that the old volunteers are still just as in awe of the mountains as us newbies. It is wonderful to think about the first time we'll meet our kids. Its wonderful to think about all of the possibilities that we, the June class, brought with us from the States, and from France, and from Greece (by way of Belgium).

And I'm so happy.

Please feel free to post a comment, and check back for photos of the first day (mountains, dogs, Lauren having her portrait done).

Cheers!

No hay comentarios.: