miércoles, junio 28, 2006

Finally Photos!!!

I had a whole post written about my first bad day, which was yesterday. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that I really don't want to dwell on the negative. In short, as I work with kids with emotional/mental/developmental disabilities, things are going to get out of hand. Yesterday was one of those days. It was a day that made me question whether or not I had made the right decision coming here, or whether I really want to be working in a school setting instead of an orphanage, or most of all, whether it makes any sense to teach kids Spanish words that you aren't sure exist.

But today was another day. It was bright and sunny and the kids were slightly better behaved. My favorite little boy gave me a kiss on the cheek for no reason. He is my favorite because he is cute as a button and totally hates me. He hates me with good reason, as I can't understand him (he speaks his own language, so for once I won't blame the Spanish) and I took away his Goofy doll. So I've made it my mission to convince him that I am not the enemy. And I think I convinced him a little bit today. Of course, after the sudden affection he gave me the finger.

I also feel good today because I have some photos to post. In fairness, I did not take these photos, so I must give my fellow volunteer Lamia props for the awesome shots of the mountains.

So without further ado:During orientation week, we had a scavenger hunt. These men were one of the clues...the one in the middle is the first Chilean I had a somewhat successful conversation with.
This is the little park in our neighborhood, which hopefully give a good sense of how close the Andes seem. But an even better shot is...



And finally, what you've all been waiting for:


So, this really isn't the best way to show you the street dogs. Perhaps if you, in your mind, multiply this dog by 5 and make him much more straggly you'll get the idea. However, this photo illustrates 1) the street where I catch the Micro/Collectivo 2) the fact that its totally normal for a dog to spend all day laying in the street. Seriously. Laying in the street. All day. Sometimes he moves for big cars, but mostly they swerve around him.

There's more to come...

Besos.

No hay comentarios.: